Thursday

The Great Outdoors

What to say...first of all, sorry for letting this blog go untouched for so long. Computer work seems to be the last thing on my "favorite things to do" list with everything outside coming to life. We've been working on our yard a bit and taking pleasure in seeing the kids enjoy just being out there and using their imaginations. (I am so thankful the mosquitoes aren't out yet).

We created some raised beds this year. I'm finally getting some vermiculite today, so I'm anxious to get the seed in. This is the first time I've really direct-seeded anything, so we'll see how it goes. I'm planning for a butterfly mix in one bed, some cosmos, nasturtiums and some kind of grass in another, herbs, carrots, nasturtiums and beans in one, and lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, nasturtiums and marigolds in the last one. If we have a chance to make a spot for sunflowers I will plant them. Lots of yellow, orange and green. It makes me happy!

The other thing we're working on is our narrow side yard. It's been a bad weed patch up until now. We are planning a raised bed for the kids, a platform-deck for them to play house/set up a tent etc., and a pea gravel construction zone instead of a sand box. I read some interesting articles on creating outdoor spaces for children a while back and they encourage lots of natural materials to work with and spaces they can call their own. I'll try to include pictures once we're farther underway.

No comments: