Wednesday

A Better Day

Do you ever go through a period of feeling really down, listless, foggy, and rather despairing? And then one day, it all lifts, your energy returns, and you can think clearly? Maybe you dip down again, but for that day you feel as sunny as a bright blue-sky day?

I just had that experience this week. It seems like for one week in particular every month, I still struggle with insomnia. It used to be quite ongoing but then I started taking supplements for my underactive thyroid. Anyways, one night of little sleep seems to be okay...I just function on adrenaline the next day and actually get quite a lot done. But when it starts adding up, I just go downhill really fast. But somehow, my perspective gets all out of whack and it feels like I have no energy, motivation, or focus EVER (which is pretty depressing). And it's not until the "sun comes out from behind the clouds", that I realize how unlike the real me that is.

Isn't it funny (well, not laugh-out-loud funny) that we can so quickly judge ourselves/pigeon-hold ourselves when we're not at our best (be it anxious, irritable, depressed, tired) and label ourselves, when really, our bodies are probably just saying "pay attention, something's not right...take care of me and I'll take care of you"? But instead, we often become more anxious, irritable, depressed and tired because we're down on ourselves for the way we're acting (or not acting).

I've been reading a very interesting book relating to health, that deals particularly with the energy of the body. From what I've learned, it seems that our bodies become undercharged or overcharged in certain areas when we over-do something (whether it's exercise, working, thinking or whatever). When we mix it up a little, our bodies function better.

So, taking 20 minutes in our massage chair is probably one of the best things I can do in the middle of my day. Or going for a short walk, or stopping to make a cup of tea, or spending 15 minutes playing with my kids in the middle of my work time. These days, it's so common for people to push through tiredness, or skip lunch, or be at the computer endlessly (or in stay-at-home terms, keep cleaning, keep making food, keep changing diapers, keep keeping up) without a break. But our bodies can't sustain that.

Well, speaking of bodies, I should get this body ready for bed. One of my friend's doctors said "There's no substitute for sleep". I need to get me some of that. Maybe I can have more days like today!

No comments: